[Asterisk-Users] Re: Possible solution is use SWITCH

Vikram Rangnekar vicky at freebsdcluster.net
Mon May 9 10:55:23 MST 2005

+++ Vikram Rangnekar [09/05/05 12:25 +0200]:
> I have 20+ asterisk servers and need to network them together so a phone on
> any of the servers can call a phone on any other server without any trouble.
>
> I can think of IAX trunks between every server. So every server will have an
> IAX trunk to every server and then prefix bases routing in the dialplan for
> each server (I can give a number to each server and use that as a prefix for
> that server). But I think this is a maintainance nightmare and also a very
> bad approch does anyone have any better ideas, Also should the phones be able
> to send rtp between each other or only through the Asterisk server since if
> its through the asterisk server and say an IAX trunk then the max number of
> calls can be controlled right.
>
> Can dundi or the switch statement help me get out of this mess ?

I dont really know DUNDi so I cant talk about it much I'll read up on it
today.

But The possible solution I thought was make one Asterisk box the CENTRAL
extensions server (Maybe 2 boxes) and have switch statements in all the other
servers dialplan to point to that one or two servers.

That main dialplan server will contain extensions for each server along with
their ip's

exten=>_1.,1,Dial(IAX2/${EXTEN:1}@192.168.0.1)
exten=>_2.,1,Dial(IAX2/${EXTEN:1}@192.168.0.2)

Now when a new server has to be added only the extension plan on that main
central server will have to be updated.

--
regards
Vikram (http://www.vicramresearch.com)