[Asterisk-Users] Interfacing AT&T Spirit System to Asterisk

Richard Lyman pchammer at dynx.net
Mon May 9 09:48:56 MST 2005

Matt wrote:

> Greetings,
> Does anyone know if there is a cost effective way to interface an
> older AT&T Spirit system into Asterisk.
> I'm only interested in A) being able to offer voicemail and B)
> possibly an AAT to callers.
> I've thought about just stringing the FXO cards into the line1/2 slots
> that go into the Spirit system... asterisk would pickup if no one
> answered the Spirit phones....
>
> however....
>
> Is there anyway anyone knows of to either A) allow transfer between
> the two systems or... (I have 3 available PSTN jacks on the Spirit)
> put an ATA on the asterisk which could go into line3 of the Spirit and
> ring an extension (instead of the regular 4 phone call ring plan...)..
> as far as I know the Spirit can't do DID.
first off, is the asterisk box going to be onsite with the spirit
system?  if so, just get rid of the spirit system and use the
asterisk box ask the pbx.  you will need to get some fxo cards
(or tdm with modules) to plug the existing CO lines into.

the problem with 'interfacing' the spirit system to asterisk is
just as you noted.  it would be much simpler to plug a digital
answering machine with multiple mailboxes to the aux port.  (and
a whole lot cheaper)