[Asterisk-Users] 8+ line receptionist only setup

Gregory Wiktor - ADCom Corp. gw at adcomcorp.com
Sun May 8 16:24:49 MST 2005

I have had success with 5, but if you have 6 you can have a hard time
transferring with no lines left, unless you use features.

The correct usage is more like 11 though, since you can use call
waiting...

Must you use cisco?  I like both cisco and polycom, but I beleive both
polycom & snom have good functions for determining busy status.  Cisco
seems in my opinion more of a user phone (I mean, no seperate hard hold
button), where the polycom has a nicer interface with transfers...

Given you are using digium cards, you would not neccesarily be
dedicating lines to keys, though you could, really a normal pbx is
better for handling this.  For example, I usa a Panasonic dbs at one of
my offices, because the multi-line abilities work well with the people I
have there.  If they had to learn how to transfer a call, forget it.
Plus, you can get a 20 extension panasonic for about the same price as a
8 extension cisco setup.  Then I tied the asterisk into the trunks and
analog extensions, so I get a more seamless approach.

For 8 lines, why would you need this anyhow?  Are you planning remote
agents and such?  Because you could probably do it for less cost than 20
7960's.

Greg