[Asterisk-Users] Re: Opinions on Cisco 7960G, Polycom IP-600, and Snom 360

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Fri May 6 08:30:45 MST 2005

Hi Dan -

> "I would also like to figure out how to make the phone *ring* when
> you're already on another line, but haven't had a chance to seriously
> explore it yet."
>
> Is this still a problem in the latest firmware?  This could sink my
> hopes of going with a Polycom phone if there isn't a way to have them
> give an audible alert that another line is ringing while you're already
> on the phone.

The phone will not ring for a second call when you're already on a
line, but with the right settings it will give you a call waiting beep
in the earpiece.  So there is, at least, some audible indication of
another call.  It only beeps once, though.  On the IP500's the LED on
the top of the phone will flash, and on the IP600's the LED for the
line of the new call will flash.

> The Wiki says the IP-500 requires an additional chip to support power
> over ethernet.  Is this true of the IP-600 as well?

The IP600 supports PoE natively.  Use any ethernet cable, and you can
get power from a PoE switch.  The IP500 and IP300 need a proprietary
cable that has the PoE chip embedded in it.  They run for about $35
apiece.

- Noah