[Asterisk-Users] QoS for improvements

Jean-Christophe Heger jcheger at acytec.com
Thu May 5 23:37:20 MST 2005

I've spent may hours to play with HTB QoS settings on the firewall, but with absolutely no effect. In fact, this is normal, because the time required to let a data packet going through the ADSL line will break the voice jitter. The only right way to handle this issue is to modify the MTU on the router.

Without setting a TOS for voip, data where going through and voice was unusable.
With a lowdelay (0x10) TOS set for voip, voice was going through, but data was blocked.
With a lowdelay TOS and an HTB QoS on the router, data where going through slowly and voice was scambled.

After many tests, an MTU of 700 did work quite well. I did loose 15% of bandwidth for data (twice more overheads), but data and voice may be used together.

Those tests have been done on a 256 kbps up stream.

There is a quite good explenation about this issue on Cisco's web
site, and about they're LFI technology (link fragmentation and interleaving):
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/voice-qos/voip-mlppp.html#link_frag

Jean-Chrsitophe