[Asterisk-Users] FXO ATA?

Joseph syscon at interbaun.com
Thu May 5 21:17:56 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 21:56 -0500, Jon Gabrielson wrote:
> On Thursday 05 May 2005 05:28 pm, Joseph wrote:
> > It has 1-FXS and one 1-Life Line (it is pass through type)
>
> I've seen the pass-through term used alot and
> I'm not quite for sure what that means.  What is the
> difference between a passthrough type and a regular
> FXO.  What can you do with one that you can't do with
> the other?  I noticed that the wiki says  that the handytone 486's
> lifeline FXO port is not usable via SIP, only used as a fallback
> for power failure.  Is this considered a passthrough or are
> there 3 types, pass-through, lifeline, and full FXO.

Here is what I was able to find on:
http://www.grandstream.com/y-faq.htm#gen16

PSTN Pass through port:
What it can do:
- Local manual switching between PSTN and IP mode on a per call basis.
- User can switch to PSTN line by pressing *00 (or the configured
strings) for each call before they are placed. The device will revert
back to the default IP mode once the phone is hung up.
- It can allow a PSTN call to ring/call the phone connected to the FXS
port.
- It also serves as a life line in case of power outage.
What it CANNOT do:
- Terminate a VoIP call into the PSTN port
- Allow a call from PSTN to route other VoIP devices (different from the
FXS phone) over the IP network
- Automatically route calls made by the local user to PSTN line

Note: On the HT-486 Rev 1.0, the PSTN port is only a life line port that
switches to PTSN only on loss of power.

FXO port:
It can support all the functions of a PSTN pass through plus:
- Terminate a VoIP call into the PSTN port
- Allow a PSTN call to call either the FXS phone or other VoIP devices
over the IP network
- Route call automatically and transparently to PSTN line according to
user configuration

When I get the AG-168V I'll let you all know what it is.

--
#Joseph