[Asterisk-Users] Polycom Images

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Thu May 5 19:13:18 MST 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Charlie Watts wrote:

> Manjit Riat wrote:
> > Out of curiosity what's the reason? Why would they not sell phones to
> > asterisk users? Do they not trust asterisk or their phones to work
> > with each other?
>
> My guess: They don't want to compete with the folks that OEM Polycom
> hardware. Lots of commercial phone system vendors just re-brand Polycom
> phones, and Polycom doesn't want to hurt their relationship with those
> businesses.
>
> I bet that at some point one of the Asterisk-using Polycom vendors gets
> the momentum to get a better Polycom<->Asterisk user relationship going.
> The trouble is that most of the Asterisk-using hardware vendors are
> hardware agnostic, and don't want sign anything that says "We'll only
> sell Polycom equipment".

This is not the case. I had a long conversation with Polycom's VP of
Product management at VON this year, and asked why they didn't want to
support Asterisk. Their response is that Asterisk has not yet completed
the Self-Certification program w/ Polycom, and that this should be a
relatively easy thing to do. They recognize that they are missing
opportunites w/ Asterisk, but they want to make sure that their phones
work correctly with it, and that Digium will take some responsibility for
certifying their code w/ Polycom.

Last I heard, Polycom was supposed to be shipping a couple of cases of
phones to Digium for certification w/ Asterisk Business Edition.

                             KP-216-121-ST