[Asterisk-Users] FXO ATA?

Dan Perik dan_perik at ntm.org
Thu May 5 13:26:31 MST 2005

Joseph wrote:

><snip>
>The AG-168 supports IAX2 and the FXO port is "pass though" type.
>The difference is that SPA-3000 answer the phone and rings asterisk (the
>phone at this moment has been answered the ringing party is incurring
>the charges before asterisk answered the phone), the AG-168 is ringing
>the asterisk directly, so I think the "pass through port" is a benefit
>in this case for asterisk users.

It is possible to pass through an incoming call to Asterisk without the
Sipura answering it, although it does take some contortions.  Basically,
you have the FXO port add a character to the beginning of the CIDNumber
(I picked "Z").  Then, for the FXS port, have it conditionally forward a
call to * if it has that character at the beginning of the CIDNumber.
Since all calls coming in from the FXO port would have that character,
but no other calls would, it effectively makes the call pass through to
* without answering it.  See: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Sipura+3000

It took me a few tries to get the settings right, but in the end it
works well.

Also, in addressing the post about the Handytone 488... I had one for a
week.  Either I had a bad one, or the item needs a bit more work to be
marketed as something anyone would want to rely on.  I ended up
returning mine.  But it did seem to only pass the call to Asterisk after
about 4 rings.

- Dan