[Asterisk-Users] Problem with Manager Originate and SIP extension

Terje Elde terje at elde.net
Thu May 5 05:20:29 MST 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use the Asterisk Manager API to place an outgoing call,
from a SIP device, through and external extension that I reach through
an external SIP account.

The command I'm trying to issue is:

Action: Originate
Channel: SIP/m197
Context: from-sip
Exten: 046XXXXXX
Callerid: XXXXXXXX
Timeout: 30000

(numbers intentionally Xed out)

The way I understand this, the command should first make the SIP/m197
device ring, and when it's picked up, it should dial the number listed
in Exten, as it would be in the from-sip context.

If I simply dial the number I'm trying on the SIP/m197 device (a Cisco
7960), the call works just fine, but when trying to run the above
manager command, the only thing I get is:

Destroying call '284a534e27a33a8c4d58d1a8022c9444 at 66.246.223.215'
May  5 08:07:39 NOTICE[2314]: channel.c:1852 __ast_request_and_dial:
Unable to request channel SIP/m197

This at verbose 10, and with sip debug.

The m197 device is set up in sip.conf as this:

[m197]
type=friend
username=m197
secret=XXXXXXXX
qualify=200
nat=yes
host=dynamic
canreinvite=no
context=from-sip

I've googled around, read, reread, and reread yet again most of the
related documentation, but either I'm missing something, or the clues to
getting this resolved arn't there.

I'm using Asterisk 1.0.6-BRIstuffed-0.2.0-RC7j, as compiled by default
by the FreeBSD port, except for me also enabling PostgreSQL CDR.

I really hope someone can nudge me in the right direction, since I'm
really stuck on thisone.

Terje