[Asterisk-Users] Mediatrix 1204 Help

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed May 4 05:53:18 MST 2005

>  >>
>  >>     I just got Mediatrix 1204 from ebay,  but it is missing CD that
> conmtain the software and
>
> drivers, I am wondering if
>
>  >>     anybody knows where I could downloaded from.
>  >>

>  >The firmware is not openly available. Mediatrix approach is to "charge"
>  >customers for every release they generate, and they only do that
>  >through approved resellers. If you know a company that resells their
>  >products, you might be able to twist their arm, but I'd guess they
>  >aren't going to give it away. (That's probably why it was being sold
>  >on eBay in the first place.)
>
>  >You will need the firmware that runs on the box (be sure to get the sip
>  >version), and you'll need the Windows-only snmp management software
>  >to configure the thing. Each firmware version has a specific snmp
>  >management package intended to be used with the firmware. You'll need
>  >both (matching) to accomplish anything as there is no telnet or web
>  >interface.
>
> No no no.  Screw windows.  All you need is the mib files and mbrowse.
> SNMP makes remote admin of these boxes a piece of cake.  Much faster
> then a web browser.  Once you figure out what you are doing, then you
> can just config and admin it with simple shell scrips, or if your a
> hack like me, c code.  You can even use SNMP to monitor the PSTN
> line status.  Way cool stuff and these boxes just run forever.

For those of us that are somewhat heavy into snmp, I'd agree. But a
large percentage of asterisk users don't ever deal with it or even
know what it is.

I'd agree on the stability of the box. Very nice, good echo cancellation,
etc. Less then satisfactory in how they deal with sip (eg, registration),
security, etc. For internal use, no problem; for external, I'd never
expose it.