[Asterisk-Users] RE: NVBackgroundDetect

Justin Newman jnewman at newmantelecom.com
Wed May 4 02:00:01 MST 2005

> Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 23:14:18 -0600
> From: Joseph <syscon at interbaun.com>
> Subject: [Asterisk-Users] NVBackgroundDetect
>
> Is anybody using NVBackgroundDetect to detect fax signal on SIP protocol
> from ATA?
>
> --
> #Joseph

We're using NVBackgroundDetect with SIP and IAX. Several of our
products/customers use it successfully -- and in volume. In fact, I think
we've only experienced one or two missed detections, which was most likely
configuration.

For SIP, we've tested all the Sipura (SPA-1000, SPA-1001, SPA-2000,
SPA-2100, and SPA-3000), Mediatrix, D-Link, and Linksys adapters. We've
tested several providers and * to * configs. No problems. Make sure you
follow the wiki instructions for setup and that you understand usage.

Link quality, protocol, provider, and mo/do determine that actual fax
send/receive results (beyond detection). Great results here as well on
send/receive, except on the software side with PDF and TIFF GPL libraries.
T.38 and others attempt to solve FOIP, but G711 is working well for most of
our clients.

The modules have been tested over LAN, DSL, cable, T1, and OC3. DSL and
cable worked well, except in some areas cable had problems. In some
situations, DSL performance was worse, but generally it was better.

BTW- On another note, Cisco recently purchased Sipura. Hopefully they won't
kill the company like they have others.

Justin