[Asterisk-Users] Collect calls

jltaylor jltaylor at metrotel.net
Tue May 3 17:14:01 MST 2005

Since you are referring to R2 signaling, it works like this:

The E1 R2 Call Blocking feature provides two ways to block incoming collect
calls-category-based and double answer. With category-based call blocking,
collect calls will be blocked based on a specific category. For example, in
Brazil, collect calls arrive with a category II-8, for which the gateway
should send B-7 as a response instead of an answer signal. This approach is
only applicable when switches in the central office support category-based
blocking.

For legacy switches that do not support category-based blocking, the double
answer method is implemented to support the collect-call blocking. For an
incoming collect call, the gateway will answer the call with a clearback
after one second and re-answer the call after two seconds, causing the
collect call to be dropped and normal calls to stay connected.

This is what the referenced patches are attempting to do.

This does not work in the U.S. or if you have SS7, you don't need it.

James