[Asterisk-Users] CODEC Allow statement help

MDS mrgadget at internode.on.net
Tue May 3 23:52:52 MST 2005

Hello,

I have 6 Asterisk switches all running together nicely with DUNDi and
have one minor problem with inter switch CODEC negotiation.

I use G729 (licensed from Digium) on several of the switches.
Inbetween the G729 switches we can make calls no problem.

>From a switch that only does ULAW they cannot make a call into my G729
switch. (the call fails with an RTP translation error)
The G729 switch can build a call toward the ULAW switch, and the call is
processed as ULAW.

On my G729 switches:
both sip/iax.conf show
disallow=all
allow=g729
allow=ulaw

On the ULAW switches:
disallow=all
allow=ulaw

I have tried every odd combination of allow statements for the ULAW
switches to build a call while still allowing the G729 switches to build
calls. The phones are a mixture of Budgettones and Polycom IP600's. The
phones all have thier first codec set to g729. the second to ULAW.

My question is this, in a multi CODEC environment where some phones are
ULAW, some are G729, and some switches are ULAW, some are G729 licensed,
what is the best set of statements to get them all to play together?

thanks!

Mark