[Asterisk-Users] Freak incidents, who's to blame?

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Tue May 3 13:26:08 MST 2005

> Really no one is to "blame"
> This is known as Glare, or a head on ( collision )
> Take a basic Telephony course before attempting to become a telecom
> engineer.
>
> Back in the "good old days" a PBX would have  analog trunks that were
> ground start, and tip was open when idle. The PBX would have an
> interface that knew this, and  if it found ground on the tip would move
> to the next outgoing trunk. Ground was applied to the trunk by the CO
> BEFORE it was rung. The ring signal would then  start whatever sequence
> in the PBX was necessary to answer the call.
> I gather that the FXO card doesn't support a ground start trunk at all,
> being nothing more than a modem given a new lease on life.
>
> Something other than a X100 or TDM400 is needed, and analog Ground start
> trunks from the Telco are called for for proper two way operation.
> GS trunks are certainly still available in the US and probably elsewhere.
> If you need enough trunks, perhaps a PRI instead?

I don't think it is even that simple to get rid of. GS trunks would take
care of the remote connect issues, but the same issue is still going to
exist on the loopstart loops to the phones themselves. if you dial a local
extension the other person can still pickup before the first ring if you
are using analog phones. All this does is move the problem with analog
trunks into a local only situation, but it still exists.

> John Novack

> !DSPAM:4277dc0474196392812593!

Jon Pounder

   _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com