[Asterisk-Users] A good SIP receptionist phone

The VoIP Connection asterisk-biz at thevoipconnection.com
Tue May 3 06:02:46 MST 2005

Christian,

The current snom scheme is great for most applications and would probably
work reasonably well for this user.  If you read the original post, he
indicates that he would be happy with a snom if he could make it work, and I
think this is the main issue with the snom 220 - getting this setup to work
can be a little tricky.  We have found in the past that extension monitoring
and multiple registrations don't play well together, which makes it hard to
use for a lot of situations.  This may be fixed now, I'm not sure when we
last tested this.

Receptionists who are used to the usual key system "park and page" routine
can be trained pretty easily to transfer to extensions if the system is set
up right. In my experience, most of these people are not stupid. Managing
and routing an endless stream of incoming calls is challenging and stressful
even under ideal circumstances. When a system doesn't work the way it should
it can be very frustrating.

I know this logic is kind of inside-out, but if you think of a receptionist
as a human auto-attendant/IVR and design a phone that supports this role you
will sell a lot of them.  A lot of times the receptionist (i.e. office
manager) is the decision-maker for phone system purchases.

Michael Crown
Managing Partner
The VoIP Connection
321.989.6728 ext. 611