[Asterisk-Users] 7960 "multi-line" configuration

Patrick M. Gray, Jr. patgrayjr at yahoo.com
Mon May 2 10:52:04 MST 2005

I'm trying to configure a 7960 in a small-office setting to function like the
large avaya-type PBX systems I have used.  Basically each station has a DID
number, and 4 or more "lines" on the phone.  If you're on "line 1" and someone
calls, "line 2" rings rather than a call waiting beep.  Similarly you can
conference two lines, etc.

In google'ing around a bit, it seems I should be able to assign the same
extension to several of the SIP lines on the 7960, and asterisk should
automatically roll calls to a vacant line.  When I configure the 7960 in this
manner, any second call to a given DID just goes to voicemail.  Is this the
"best practice" way to configure the 7960, or should I assign 6 different lines
to the 7960 and create a call group?

Thanks!

Pat