[Asterisk-Users] Are there online forums instead of this email

Francesco Peeters Francesco at FamPeeters.com
Thu Mar 31 23:45:43 MST 2005

On Fri, April 1, 2005 3:01, Bruno Hertz said:
> Martijn van Oosterhout <martijn at ecomtel.com.au> writes:
>

>> Ok, basic use case. I today go to a forum and read all the messages.
>> Next day I come along, how do I get a list of all the messages I havn't
>> read in thread order in such a way that if I decide to go somewhere
>> in the meantime, it knows what I've read and what I havn't.
>>
>> I also monitor several other projects all on mailing lists. With one
>> mail box I can monitor six projects in one interface. I don't touch the
>> mouse the whole time. I can whizz through a message every few seconds
>> because every one is in the same font, same colour, same spacing (HTML
>> all disabled). No forum is ever going to compete with that sorry.
>
> This really is a killer argument, and I wholeheartedly agree with that.
> One point comes to mind though, which has been troubling people here
> for some time and where web forums, as much as i dislike them, could
> actually be of use, i.e. partitioning.

Multiple lists can do the same

> As of now, all kinds of stuff is thrown into this list, mostly * related
> but not always, from whatever cards over sipura products and manager api
> to softphone setup and whatever. Now, even if mailing lists were set up
> for particular topics, I think experience tells us that quite a few users
> would come here anyway, and people would have a tough time educating them.
> That's I think the main reason no serious effort is taken in that
> direction.

I do not see the difference with forums... People can still post in the
wrong forum there as well. It is up to the owners and community to point
them to the right forum or list.

I am on a few lists that have been split up, and that works fine as long
as people adhere to one basic rule:
When a post arrives that belongs in a different list, point that out on
the list it arrived on, with a cross-post to the list it belongs on,
quoting the entire message. After that, the original list should ignore
it, and the correct list can pick it up. It's up to the oroginal poster to
ensure he's on the correct list to receive the replies...
(Sounds awfully similar to moving a thread to a different forum to me!)

> On the other hand imagine a forum with subtopics like sipura, softphones,
> zap or whatever. Wouldn't that maybe help to put some load off at least
> the casual reader and poster seeking or giving advice for topics he/she
> specialized in, and maybe even the more active participants? Just a
> thought, and not a bad one imho.

Nah, like I said, IMHO it's not different from multiple maillists, as long
as the same rules are applied consistenly...   ;-)

--
Francesco Peeters
----