[Asterisk-Users] VoIP Provider problems

Joseph Gutowski asteriskdump at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 20:28:50 MST 2005

Ok, since I guess no one else wanted to bite -- I will.

I installed PingPlotter, switched to UDP just to be the same as you,
and ran it against sip.broadvoice.com. Absolutley no problems, no
packet loss at all.

Ran it with all of the published proxy addresses, again no problems.

I then used the 63.251.209.126 that you posted, and it was awful (at
least it appears awful). I have reliable 20% packet loss at each of
two Verio hops (nothing lost at the far end).

I did traceroutes on all of the Broadvoice proxies, and I didn't get
pushed through PNAP. I wonder why your packets seem to reliably
following that path when it's so bad. I mean the whole point of
routing through PNAP is to increase quality, no? And from my
understanding they're supposed to have a magic fuzzy logic to
dynamically reroute around problems. Your results suggest a more
widespread problem than one customer can't have nice VoIP calls --
you'd think Sprint wouldn't be routing through PNAP.

Am I going to slap myself on the forehead in two minutes when I
realize I missed something obvious and I'm completely off base here
due to lack of sleep?

I think you need to have a nice chat with Sprint, because it looks
like your connection is pretty icky for anything, nevermind VoIP. I
hope it's cheap.

And I also hope your VoIP connection is wired if you're getting 9-10%
loss on the wireless before you even leave the LAN. If you're starting
off with a loss, it's just going to make the natural losses on the net
have an even worse effect.