[Asterisk-Users] Codec audio quality comparisons?

Jeff Heath jheath1 at optonline.net
Thu Mar 31 18:03:39 MST 2005

The quality measurement you're looking for is Mean Opinion Score (MOS).
It's an ITU standard for measuring call clarity.  Google codec MOS and
one of the first links to come up will be a Cisco technical note.  It's
not a comprehensive list, but it's pretty good.

MOS is a scale from 1 to 5 with 5 being the best.  Really, the scale is
1 to 4.5 (but that's a long explanation).  Here are some codec MOS
scores:

codec	MOS	delay (msec)
G.711	4.1	0.75
G.729	3.92	10

the difference between 4.1 and 3.92 is significant and so is the 10 msec
delay.

Jeff Heath