[Asterisk-Users] Sangoma VS. Digium

Craig Guy cguy at bigpond.net.au
Thu Mar 31 17:02:43 MST 2005

Sangoma makes a product that is eqiuvalent to the digium PRI boards, which
is one type of product that digium sells.  If everyone started buying
Sangomas product over digium its hardly going to cause digium to go under.
The digium pri boards themselves are based on GPL hardware designs, if the
intent was that you are only supposed to buy digium then they wouldn't have
used GPL hardware and opensourced the drivers.  Think of all the other stuff
that digium sells, the iaxy, the analog boards, asterisk support services,
asterisk training, commercial Asterisk software licenses.

IMHO I see digium the company should be the equivalent of redhat in the
linux world.  At the moment they are selling hardware in order to help get
asterisk out there in the wild.  Once Asterisk has achieved critical mass
and cheap hardware is available in the marketplace from other vendors digium
should withdraw from the hardware market entirely and focus purely on the
software.  The hardware side of things is a distraction to the core business
of promoting asterisk as far as I see it, and a market that they shouldn't
be in over the long run.

Craig