[Asterisk-Users] Are there online forums instead of this email

Martijn van Oosterhout martijn at ecomtel.com.au
Thu Mar 31 15:00:47 MST 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 01:19:40PM -0500, bass at silkroad.com wrote:

> Any decent on-line forum would be much better than these digium email lists.  The lists are
>  poorly formatted, there is no easy way to post code, you cannot neatly quote anyone, the s
> earch function in the archive is elementary at best, there is no possibility for active use
> rs to moderate their area of interest, there is no private messaging, the list goes on and
> on.

Email has attachments, there's wiki for out-of-band stuff and you can
use google to search. And email *is* private messaging, so I don't
understand that point.

> A GOOD ON-LINE FORUM IS TO EMAIL LISTS WHAT THE WORLD WIDE WEB WAS TO GOPHER.

Ok, basic use case. I today go to a forum and read all the messages.
Next day I come along, how do I get a list of all the messages I havn't
read in thread order in such a way that if I decide to go somewhere
in the meantime, it knows what I've read and what I havn't.

I also monitor several other projects all on mailing lists. With one
mail box I can monitor six projects in one interface. I don't touch the
mouse the whole time. I can whizz through a message every few seconds
because every one is in the same font, same colour, same spacing (HTML
all disabled). No forum is ever going to compete with that sorry.

> In other words, Digium is only hurting this community by not
> transitioning these lists to a good on-line community building
> software product.

The list of major projects with mailing lists is longer than the list
of projects with forums...

Feel free to set one up, but if the mailing list is removed for a
forum, many current people won't subscribe...
--
Martijn van Oosterhout
Ecomtel Pty Ltd