[Asterisk-Users] VoIP Provider problems

Kellner, Peter Peter at PeterKellner.net
Thu Mar 31 13:59:16 MST 2005

Ping runs as a low priority service so it is not realistic to measure
response time using ping.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Johnathan
Corgan
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 11:11 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] VoIP Provider problems

Johnathan Corgan wrote:

> First off, I have Sprint Broadband Direct internet service, a fixed
> wireless setup with a 2-5 Mbps downlink and a terrible 128 kbps
uplink.
> So I know I'm in for trouble anyway.
>
> The broadvoice edge router (63.251.209.126, their lax site) is another

> 11 hops away. One hop before that, the packet loss rate has gone up to

> 13%, so the Internet adds another 4% to my sucky ISP connection. Round

> trip time to this point is 200ms, so-so but livable.
>
> Here's the kicker:
>
> Reported packet loss from broadvoice, one additional hop, is a
whopping
> 29%.  So between the last "Internet" router (bbnet2.lax.pnap.net) and
> broadvoice's edge router, there is an additional 16% loss.

Just an update after about 12 hours of data--the data above was worst
case.

During off-peak hours in the middle of the night the packet loss at my
ISP was effectively zero, and only 3% along the way to broadvoice, with
a 75ms round-trip time.  Broadvoice edge-router still reports 28% packet

loss though, and an additional 30ms RTT increase for this last hop.  So
I even more strongly suspect (or just really hope) they are
preferentially discarding non-RTP traffic in favor of voice traffic.

I did discover that the multi-second outages are at my local ISP, not at

Broadvoice--for some reason Sprint BBD can take up to 4 seconds to
respond to a ping, so something is really wrong there--but is there a
way to do this type of testing in a more rigorous and controlled
fashion?

-Johnathan
To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: