[Asterisk-Users] Are there online forums instead of this email forum??

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Mar 31 09:11:51 MST 2005

On March 31, 2005 10:26 am, Chuck Bunn wrote:
> I am new to Asterisk and the first thing I have noticed about Asterisk
> and Pingtels open PBX's is that they are using this dinosaur method of
> running forums. It is a real pain getting every message in the forum and
> essentially keeping my own database of issues. With that said are there
> any forums that are well used or that might even convert this email in a
> true forum that is searchable and that doesn't require me downloading
> every email. Before you go and rant on me go see how Mambo Server does
> it at  http://forum.mamboserver.com. The forums are easy to use and thus
> are easy to participate in. I use mozilla Thunderbird and I have setup
> filters and all but it still is a pain to use this outdated email forum.

Actually mailing lists offer numerous advantages over the (in my opinion)
idiotic use of web forums.  This has been discussed to death over the years,
and even on this very mailing list.

An asterisk web forum has been attempted several times and has always failed
because, for the most part, the people who do the helping and have the
knowlege prefer mailing lists to forums.

from
http://www.google.com/search?q=asterisk+forum+site%3Alists.digium.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2004-February/003102.html
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-September/thread.html#62899
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-November/thread.html#75178
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-September/thread.html#22010
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-August/thread.html#17720

and so on, and so forth.

Call it archaic if you like but mailing lists get the job done faster, better
and without all the bullshit that forums bring to the table.

-A.