[Asterisk-Users] SuperMicro X5DE8-GG Motherboard Goes Kaput afterInstalling TE410P Card - Yikes!

Tim Bass bass at silkroad.com
Thu Mar 31 09:05:37 MST 2005

I am sorry if I was not more precise in my post.   The PSU runs fine.  The
PSU fan runs great.  The CPU fans run great.  There are some lights on the
motherboard.  The chassis is very stiff and is one of the finest 1U chassis
money can buy.  (This is not a cheap SuperMicro chassis, it is a very good
chassis, one of the best I have ever seen).

We installed one Digium TE410P in the PCIX slot and put the power cable back
on.   The machine tried to come up, but the TE410P card flashed red lights
in all four ports and there was no video output, no motherboard beeps or
anything.     This was a very simple (1) shutdown, (2) remove power supply
(3) install riser card and TE410P, and (4) reconnect power cord.

I have an email-service-call into SuperMicro.

Thanks.

Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com>, said,

I have had something similar happen with a different card. Does the PSU fan
pulse when you attempt to boot? If it is pulsing, you have a short. I have
seen standoffs under a motherboard finally touch something that wasn't
intended to and the system won't boot.
 wasn't intended to and the system won't boot.

The super micro 1u cases are not very stiff. It is an interesting
engineering problem to make something that is hollow stiff with out
being able to cross brace.

So my suggestion is to pull the board out and maybe hook up to a different
PSU with no chance of it shorting out to verify it is ok.