[Asterisk-Users] Problem with Music on Hold. Please help

irakli.natsvlishvili at thinkingvoice.com irakli.natsvlishvili at thinkingvoice.com
Wed Mar 30 19:53:53 MST 2005

Hello everybody,

I've run on a problem with music on hold. Asterisk does not play anything.

Here is the info:

latest Asterisk:
Asterisk CVS-HEAD-03/25/05-23:18:57

Asterisk is installed Fedora Core 4 running on AMD 2.0Ghz CPU box with 512
RAM.

I took latest zaptel source code, uncommented ztdummy and installed
according to instruction from this blog - http://blog.soolid.it/?p=16

I have also compiled and installed Madplay according to same instructions.

Zaptel has compiled successfully. Modprobe of zaptel/ztdummy is successful
also. However lsmod output shows that USB controller is not used by
ztdummy:

[root at linast src]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ztdummy                 3924  0
zaptel                204676  7 ztdummy
ohci_hcd               23765  0
uhci_hcd               31449  0
ehci_hcd               35273  0

Asterisk starts without a problem, the only messages I've receive are
following:

WARNING[26256]: chan_oss.c:486 soundcard_init: Unable to open /dev/dsp:
Device or resource busy
  == No sound card detected -- console channel will be unavailable

ERROR[25489]: cdr_custom.c:135 load_module: Unable to register custom CDR
handling

Everything else works, but as I said there is no music on hold.

sip.conf:

In global parameters:

musicclass=default		; Sets the default music on hold class for all

an extension:

[2707]
context=default
type = friend
username = 2707
host = dynamic
mailbox = 2707
dtmfmode=rfc2833
nat=no
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=g729
musicclass=default

In extensions.conf file:

exten => 2707,1,Dial(SIP/2707,35,trHm)
;exten => 2707,2,MusicOnHold()
;exten => 2707,3,MP3Player(/var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3/fpm-sunshine.mp3)
exten => 2707,3,voicemail(u2707)
exten => 2707,4,Hangup
exten => 2707,102,Voicemail(b2707)
exten => 2707,103,Hangup

musiconhold.conf file:

[classes]
;default => quietmp3:/var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3
loud => mp3:/var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3
default => custom:/var/lib/asterisk/mohmp3/,/usr/bin/madplay --mono -R
8000 --output=raw:-

But it does not work.

when I call extension 2707 on console is following output:

 Reloading SIP
Urgent handler

Use EXIT or QUIT to exit the asterisk console
    -- Executing Dial("SIP/1730-b6a4", "SIP/2707|35|trHm") in new stack
Urgent handler
Urgent handler
    -- Called 2707
Urgent handler
    -- Started music on hold, class 'default', on SIP/1730-b6a4
Urgent handler
    -- SIP/2707-8c7d is ringing
Urgent handler
    -- Stopped music on hold on SIP/1730-b6a4

Any idea what is going wrong?

Thanks,