[Asterisk-Users] GXP-2000 Grandstream - First Impressions

George Burt george at trueshot.com
Wed Mar 30 11:48:34 MST 2005

I got the GXP-2000 in yesterday from www.voipsupply.com .

The phone is pretty nice looking, but there is something cheesy about the
paper line template.  But buttons work well with good tactile feedback.

I think the best thing about the phone is the LCD display.  It is backlit
with high resolution graphics.  A nice large MWI light is present and 4 line
displays come standard.  Setup was easy (I guess) but I could find no
documentation on either the correct sip.conf settings or the phone's web
interface settings, but that is about par for the course with Asterisk.

I am disappointed with a couple things.  The handset is so light, that it
immediately gives you the feeling your are dealing with a cheap phone.  I
cannot understand how a mistake like this happens.  How hard is it to make
the handset heavier.  It seems hollow.

A bigger problem is the sound quality.  I was told by the people I talked to
that I sounded good and I got no indication that quality was a problem.
Unfortunately, the sound quality on my end was not very good.  I used a ULAW
codec and placed side by side calls using a Polycom 600 and the Grandstream.
The difference was pretty huge.  The Grandstream tended to crack and pop and
even cut out sometimes.  It sounds to me like they are have some problem
with noise cancellation, but that is just a guess.

The speakerphone works, but its sound quality does not approach the IP600.

I will post other information as it occurs to me.

George Burt