[Asterisk-Users] Implant GIPS's codec to Asterisk

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Wed Mar 30 08:00:03 MST 2005

Gustavo García wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>
>GIPS have different products, not only codecs:
>* Voice enhancements: packet loss concealment algorithms, noise concealment,
>jitter buffer, agc, aec....  (can be used with any codec)
>* Codecs: iLbc (free), ISAC, G711 Wideband...
>
>You can include in asterisk voice enhancements and use them iLBC for
>example, for increasing the quality mainly in face of the packet loss,
>without using wideband codecs.
>
>I'm not a GIPS employee :-), you can view more information in the GIPS
>website.
>
>G.

 From what I have seen it appears those GIPS products are not
particularly sophisticated. For example, have you any reason to believe
they can achieve better jitter and packet loss handling than * with the
new jitter buffer and PLC? That is not the world's most sophisticated,
but as far as I get tell it is about on par with the GIPS offering. Does
anyone have any evidence to the contrary?

Regards,
Steve