[Asterisk-Users] Comprehensive Asterisk Load Testing

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Wed Mar 30 01:24:55 MST 2005

Hello,

	I would like to test the capabilities of the various hardware that I
run AstLinux on:

- Soekris Net4801 (266mhz Geode)
- 1ghz P3
- 1ghz Via C3
- 2.5ghz Celeron
- 3 ghz x 2 Xeon

	What I would like to do is use * on the higher end machines to pound as
many calls as possible (probably 10, 20 at a time) into * on the lesser
machines.  I will then try to keep track of system resources (CPU usage,
memory usage, etc) on the "client" machines.  I want to do this with
various codecs, jitterbuffer yes/no, trunk yes/no, SIP, IAX, across all
of this hardware to at least get an idea of what I can expect from these
CPU's (as far as transcoding goes).  "show translations" is just not
cutting it anymore... :)

	Not to self-promote, but AstLinux looks like a perfect platform to do
testing like this because of consistency and the fact that it can run
from flash and RAM, so disk I/O should not ever be a problem...

	I am thinking some combination of app_milliwatt & the outgoing call
spool or manager interface would be a good way to go about this.  The
wiki page has no specifics for doing this, so I thought I would ask.
How is this normally done, or is there a completely different, better
way to do it?

Thanks in advance!

--
Kristian Kielhofner