[Asterisk-Users] Open Source Billing Software

Moody asterisk.user at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 19:11:23 MST 2005

Not to feed the fire - but I would be interested to hear about open
source projects that arn't free. It's pretty hard to charge for
something you legally have to provide the source for...

Some try with subscriptions, but citing Sveasoft I'd suggest that
model is both unacceptable (IMHO) and unsuccessful.

The successful companies based on open source projects (like Digium,
Redhat) tend to combine consulting, hardware or other services/items
which have a value (increased value?) because of the open source
product.

On another level, it often provides value to its authors which is an
answer  to the earlier asked question about why offer profit creating
items for free -  Areski (of the AreskiCC fame) is an excelent example
- I'm sure he could find a job consulting/developing for Asterisk with
many companies....