[Asterisk-Users] Re: Zaptel based timing for VoIP-only Asterisk

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Mar 29 19:07:54 MST 2005

On 2005-03-29, Andreas Sikkema <andreas.sikkema at ritstele.com> wrote:
> In a VoIP only environment, Asterisk has to use ztdummy
> to have any chance of playing back understandable audio
> files (without drops, hickups etc).

That brings up a question... on my Alpha, ztdummy is of (apparently)
little use since I have no USB, yet audio sounded fine even before I put
in my X100p card (which now is there solely for timing).

Is that becauze HZ is 1000 instead of 60 on Alpha?

And why does asterisk want ztdummy instead of the more conventional ways
of getting precision timing (RTC, etc)?

-- John