[Asterisk-Users] Digium - Asterisk Download Ftp Site link Invalid

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Tue Mar 29 19:24:53 MST 2005

On Tuesday 29 March 2005 20:31, Matt Riddell wrote:
> Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) wrote:
> > I am going to update WIKI with the latest build number. Yesterday I ended
> > up downloading an old version as WIKI still has 1.0 on the CVS page.
>
> Downloading -r1-0 will download the latest in the 1.0 branch (stable).
>
> The current latest version in this branch is 1.0.7.
>
> Therefore -r1-0 should download -r1-0-7
>
> :)

Yes, which it does.

Of course the problem is that we keep on having non specific version numbers
on update. (Unless you specify the full version.) This frequently causes
confusions as people try to figure out which version they have.

I recommend that you specify the full version you are downloading as that will
be written into the .version file. I.e. specify 1-0-7 or 1-0-6 depending on
what you are looking for, vs just 1-0. My update script is currently allowing
you to specify this in the customizable section.

I'm also strongly considering the ability to specify sub version on the
command line when you make updates, to make it easier.

(Currently it makes a backup of your source files before altering them, using
version number as directory name. During this time it uses the version number
available and todays date and time.)

I don't know how many are reading this thread and are a user of my script
(asterisk-update.sh) but if you have a feeling either way please let me know.
Since this is not really vital for all to read I suggest sending my your
views off list.

And I suppose I should say something for those as lazy as me, who prefer to
automate things. The script is an extensive collection of functions around
installing and updating Asterisk. It's available at
szmidt.org/asterisk/asterisk-update.sh

Don't forget to chmod it to 700 after downloading it. : )

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin