[Asterisk-Users] help w/ basics

Garrett Nelson garrett at townandcountrycomputers.com
Tue Mar 29 15:58:58 MST 2005

Hello, I am new to Asterisk and new to this list. I got Asterisk setup and
running using Asterisk at home, and purchased a PolyCom SoundPoint IP500 phone
to test out.

I cannot get the phone to talk to the Asterisk box. On bootup of the phone,
it tells me that it cannot contact boot server. Why is that? It gets an IP
fine, and I have also tried manually setting the IP of the phone and the
Asterisk system in the phone's menu.

I don't know what I am doing, and don't know where to look for help. I have
tried the wiki but didn't find anything and just got more overwhelmed. Can
anyone point me to an easy guide to getting my phone to talk to my Asterisk
system, or help me set things up?

Network configuration:

192.168.1.1     IPCop 1.4 firewall/router (DHCP server)

192.168.1.2     Windows 2003 server

192.168.1.20    Asterisk system

192.168.1.200  PolyCom SoundPoint IP500 phone