[Asterisk-Users] Fail over

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Mar 29 08:11:51 MST 2005

> No, that's a service, or at least I think it is, the sales garbage obscures
> what it really is so who knows.
>
>  What I need is a little box that diverts calls if the PBX goes down.

FYI, the topic has been discussed previously on the list, and the
problem that you're trying to address is far more difficult that
what you might think.

The issue is... how do you know when the pbx is down?
 - machine is up, asterisk is down
 - machine is up, asterisk is up but not responding
 - machine is down hard (somewhat easier to address)

Some of the previous postings noted using a relay to transfer t1's,
pri's, etc, to a second machine; however, tripping the relay still
requires some sort of watchdog timer that would sense inactivity.
There is no code in asterisk to trigger that process today.