[Asterisk-Users] Verizon ISDN

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Mon Mar 28 12:48:25 MST 2005

Brian G wrote:
> I'm looking to use Asterisk with Verizon ISDN centex service in the US.
> I'd be connecting to an NT1 so I'd need an S/T interface.  Users would
> have SIP phones registered with Asterisk and sharing the ISDN lines.

ISDN BRI interfacing into a PC is hard to do in the US... there are just
not many (if any) cards available to do it. The few cards that are
available only have firmware for Euro-ISDN, not NI-2 (and US BRI is
_not_ the same as anywhere else in the world).

There are other options, though: Adtran (and others) make boxes that can
cross-convert multiple BRIs into a PRI, which could then be connected to
Asterisk via a T-1 card. Not an inexpensive way to go, though.