[Asterisk-Users] How to use multiple VOIP provider trunks

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Mar 27 15:13:42 MST 2005

> I have been able to setup three different providers successfully, but only
> one at a time. I would like to have all active in a fail over configuration
> so that one failing would not be noticed by the users. I know it's probably
> easy to configure but I have not been able to find out how. Can anyone give
> me an example?

It won't be anywhere near as easy as what you might think.

Failures might include:
 - call processed but provider has a problem (incomplete call)
 - register is working, call processing is not
 - provider is off-line (for whatever reason; seldom happens)
 - your local isp is down (or having a problem; all itsp's fail)

Asterisk won't know the status of some of these.