[Asterisk-Users] High Availability on Asterisk

Max W Blackmer Jr max at knowledgepowerit.com
Sun Mar 27 09:04:12 MST 2005

Hello,

Yes, there is high availability, Clustering and Load Balancing.  Each
one has its own advantage and disadvantages.

First option is one that you mention High Availability. This option you
have a second machine watching "heartbeats" from the primary machine.
when the heartbeats stop the machine takes over the IP address and
functionality of the primary machine. This is usually limited to 2
machines.

The second option is Clustering. This option makes multiple
computers(nodes) to work as one virtual system. when one system fails
the node is removed from the cluster and continues operation as normal.
Clusters can be from 2 and up nodes.

Your Third option is load balancing. This option sets up a machine to
direct traffic to multiple servers based on several factors round
robin, server load, least connections and availability.

My personal preference is Load Balancing and clustering  because there
is virtually no transition time and you can take machines down for
maintenance and upgrades without interrupting the service.

My suggestion is google "High-Availability Linux HOWTO", "Clustering
Linux HOWTO" and "load balancing Linux HOWTO" for more information.

Also, you might want to look up "Carrier Grade Linux"(
http://tinyurl.com/5c6vy ) this provides information and
specifications.

Max