[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk compare with Skype

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Mar 27 06:40:09 MST 2005

Caleb wrote:

>Speaking of audio quality, does anybody know why Skype's audio quality
>is better than that of Asterisk to most users? I have been trying to
>figure that out but dont seem to get what may be left out, even on
>GSM. Am I looking the wrong direction to begin with?

Skype uses wideband voice. This means you can do things like tell an "f"
from an "s", which you cannot do on a normal telephone line. The whole
voice sound is much more "hi-fi". The codec they use is the wideband
version of iLBC. Although narrowband iLBC is free to use, wideband iLBC
is not.

Regards,
Steve