[Asterisk-Users] Rhino Channel Bank or ADIT 600

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 22:52:12 MST 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:27:53 +0000, cmould <carey.mould at e2team.com> wrote:
> How do you integrate talk to the Asterisk server if you are using the
> cmg cards, and what is the cost difference with the CMG cards...

I don't know what you mean by talk.
Cost difference:
well this is how I calculated it, one the overall cost of having to
get an asterisk box that needs more CPU, and 2 the actual cost of the
cards to make it work. As well as taking into considiration that adit
is telco grade equipment, and has very good performance.
Option 1: An adit 600 loaded with 6 FXS cards = $800, Digium Quad t1 = $1500.
Option 2: An adit 600 with 5 FXS cards, and 1 CMG02 card = $1500 (Max,
you could get it for cheaper).
Option 1 for 384 (8 * 48) analog ports: 8 * 800 + 2 * 1500 = $9,400.
(around $24.50 per port)
Option 2 for 360 (9 * 40) analog ports: 9 * 1500 = $13,500. ($37.50 per port)
But option 2 can all go on one asterisk box, since it's all voip, and
no transcoding has to take place (in fact it's like getting 9 more
asterisk boxes to give you some more horsepower). With option 1 you
will run into problems of using more than one digium card on one box,
although it works, it is not recommended. Consider that a dual xeon
system costs $3000 you will end up paying $7,700 for each pair of 4
adit boxes, and this doesn't even give you the options of adding telco
t1s.

In my opinion using the CMG cards will pay out in every single way
when you are talking of anything more than 2 Adit boxes to a single
system.