[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk compare with Skype

Paul Hewlett hewlett at netactive.co.za
Sat Mar 26 04:27:06 MST 2005

On Saturday 26 March 2005 05:38, Stephen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for all the comments and opinions.
>
> I think in terms of features and flexibility , Asterisk is better than
> Skype. But in terms simplicity, Skype is better.
> The problem I face is to switch Skype users to use Asterisk. Some of
> them use Skype for business use (on-net call) and they said Skype is
> enough for their business use already and find no need to use IP PBX.
>
> I think probably I need to educate them what Skype is and what Asterisk is.
>
> Maybe Asterisk community need to come up with a management system that
> can manage Asterisk in much simple way.
>
> We have to work harder to outshine Skype . : )

This link
http://www.privaterra.org/blog-rg/two_good_analyses_of_skype_voice_over_ip__voip_.html

has 2 very good papers on the internal workings of Skype. Bit of an overkill
for a non-geek customer.

PAulH

--
Paul Hewlett (Linux #359543)
Tel: +27 21 852 8812      Cel: +27 72 719 2725      Fax: +27 86 672 0563