[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk-Users Digest, Vol 8, Issue 216

David Josephson dlj at altaphon.com
Fri Mar 25 20:52:34 MST 2005

>>Can I program a specific C.O. line directly to a button?

Adopting the Critchfield style for a moment, no, *you* probably can't.
But, depending on one's expertise with the hardware and Asterisk, it can
certainly be done. I am by no means an Asterisk expert but have about 35
years of random phone experience. I have an ancient Siemens HiNet SIP
phone here with buttons on it that I can push and get dialtone from any
of my * trunks. Any SIP phone with programmable buttons should be able
to do that (hint: an s extension to a context that only accesses one
trunk, or DISA)

>First turn off the HTML email, please.
>
>Next spend a bit of time thinking about phones you have seen that use
>standard analog ports. It isn't a normal option to have more than 1
>line, and unless you are getting into cheap shared signal phone setups.
>you usually don't see more than 2 lines.

The term "square key" is from 1A/1A1/1A2 key set terminology, 1950's to
90's more or less.

>If you go the SIP route, you might get a little further down the road,
>but you also take a chance of integrating echo into the system.
>
>The answers are there for someone with the requisite background
>knowledge of the hardware available.

Yes. This particular answer is dependent on the programming capabilities
of the instrument in question and of the programmer in question.