[Asterisk-Users] why even use SIP

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Fri Mar 25 19:14:54 MST 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 04:37:02PM -0500, Dana Olson wrote:

> My company has thousands of entries in the DHCP server, and it would
> take forever to go through each and every one of them. Not to mention
> that I, being in the telecom division, do not have access to the DHCP
> servers.

scan for a MAC address?

ping all the addresses in the range and then

  /usr/sbin/arp -n |grep -i that_mac_addr

The scanning part could be done using something like:

  nmap -sP 192.168.1-5.*

Another simple trick (assuming a mostly windows network) is to simply
ping to the broadcast address. Linux-es and macs tend to respond to
those pings and so are most devices. Windows tend to ignore those pings.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | New signature for new address and  |  VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | new homepage                       | a Mutt's