[Asterisk-Users] Newbie Instalation

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Fri Mar 25 18:54:35 MST 2005

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 08:21:57PM +1030, Trevor Tregoweth wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for the wonderful advice, and comments, and anything I might of
> missed, and no offence taken.
>
> Yes I am new to this program, and Linux too, so this is a big learning
> curve.
>
> I installed the software "Asterisk" which I believed it did straight from
> the cd, rebooted the computers, and it installed more stuff.
>
> I am then lead to believe that I can use "x-lite" a phone interface, I
> guess, to interact with the new pabx-asterisk system I now have.
>
> I can see from the gui interface that I am trying to make calls, but that's
> about it, not much else is happening
>
> Well if you want to know much more, please ask, as I have no idea what I am
> doing   :)

You can start by stating what CD it is exactly you were using.

There are a number of such CDs (and none of them is "official").

One tool I found very useful is the asterisk CLI. You get it by running
the command 'asterisk -r' from the linux command prompt. It generally
requires being root.

run there 'set verbose 3' and see what happens when you try to call.

Another useful command:

  sip show peers
  sip show peer NNN

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | New signature for new address and  |  VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | new homepage                       | a Mutt's