[Asterisk-Users] Backup for linux/asterisk

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Fri Mar 25 18:44:42 MST 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 10:04:58PM -0500, Jeff Glassman wrote:
> After getting my feet wet with asterisk at home, I want to set up a second
> asterisk box to add a call shop billing and other add-ons such as LCR.
>
> My question is as follows.  Is there a backup program that will save to
> a tape drive or a USB CD Writer so if I mess up an install I don't have
> to go through a complete reinstall?

One nice system-backup program is mondo-rescue. It provides a complete
system backup. It can build a bootable rescue CD (actually: ISO images of
such a CD) which automates the recovery process even for multiple
partitions. The target can be cd images, tape, remote nfs partition,
local files, or whatever.

  http://www.mondorescue.org/

It should work very well for a system backup. The data backup should
probably be done using tar or amanda or whatever.

> I saw a few programs out there but
> they required X windows and from what I read it is suggested that X
> windows not be installed on an Asterisk box.

If it requires X it is probably not designed for recovery.

Naturally all tools I've mentioned here are free.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | New signature for new address and  |  VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | new homepage                       | a Mutt's