[Asterisk-Users] Forklift a 2000 phone PBX

Paul Mahler psvwm at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 17:03:14 MST 2005

We sell an Asterisk based soft switch that starts at 5000 simultaneous
connections and goes up from there.

paul

pmahler at signate.com

I'm staring at an RFP--this company wants to replace a 2000 position PBX (at
eight locations) with a new system.  Their mindset is Nortel/Avaya because they
talk about 28-button digital sets.  The do specify a few IP phones for just one
location, so they are aware of VoIP.

I'm going to bid on this--there's nothing to lose except the time it takes to
write the proposal.  I'll bid an off site Asterisk system with SIP telephones.
Using the metric of 100 SIP phones/box, I'll bid twenty Asterisk boxes with ten
boxes at each of two hosting locations.  Each phone will have registrations to
both sites.

The big unknown is wiring.  I'm going to assume the worst, that the existing
LAN is overloaded.  I would a) have to make LAN wiring out of existing Cat3
wiring, or b) install a new voice-only LAN.

Does anyone know how to qualify existing Cat3 wiring for use as a LAN?

Has anyone does an Asterisk system on this scale?

Thanks for your help,
Mike

P.S.  Sorry for the cross post, but I would like everyone to see this.

To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: