[Asterisk-Users] small qos switch

Torsten Krueger torsten at nrw-online.de
Fri Mar 25 13:59:51 MST 2005

Hello,

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Time Bandit wrote:

> > What I am looking for is a small switch with QoS that I
> > can stick in ahead of the dsl modem.  Plug in one connection
> > from the voice lan and one from the data lan.
> Linksys WRT54G supports QoS, 4 LAN ports and a WAN port that can do DSL/cable

If you run Openwrt (www.openwrt.org) on this box you even can get IPSec
VPN with X509V3 Certificates and a QoS that is really working - all that
on CPE below 100USD. The following story from on of our customers
homeoffices:

DSL-Connection with 1Mbit/s Downstream and 128kbit/s Upstream. WRT54g with
Openwrt as Router/VPN-Gateway. The user has a Snom 190 phone. Application
is mostly terminal server with Citrx metaframe. Complaint from the user:
every time I am on the phone my Citrix-sessions is _so_ slow... (1280x1024
Desktop in Highcolor). Solution of the problem: the phone was set to use
G711u codec - and that did not fit together with the 128kbit/s upstream of
the DSL-Line. But no problem with voice quality at all. QoS configuration
slightly adjusted from the things you find at www.lartc.org .

regards
Torsten