[Asterisk-Users] small qos switch

Asterisk asterisk at vinkconsult.com
Fri Mar 25 10:51:01 MST 2005

Hi,

The lan is probably not the problem, but the dsl connection is.
There are some things you can do that can help to a certain degree.
First, set "tos=lowdelay" in your iax.conf.
Most routers obey the ToS field.
second, try to find out if your firewall (I assume you use one)
support QoS.
then there is a possibility you can set a QoS or ToS in the rulebase.
Maybe you can even set a guaranteed and maximum bandwidth for this
rule
(at least this is the way I work, but then again I use
Juniper/Netscreen firewalls)
The third choice is to use a switch that can set port based QoS or
ToS,
but make sure it is not reset  further down the line.

But having said that, if your provider does'nt do anything with QoS
and/or ToS it might al be useless.
Try and find out.

Regards

Andre