[Asterisk-Users] Newbie Instalation

Yair Hakak yhakak at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 03:10:59 MST 2005

Hi,
 a few pointers:

1. the wiki is your friend:
   http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk
   lots of good stuff and good documents for getting started. If i
were you i might reinstall asterisk from CVS just to make sure you
have the latest version, and because this way you can learn about
installing. In general asterisk usually runs on a machine without
x-windows so doing everything from a command-line window might also
help with the learning, rather than being dependent on prepackaging.

2. did you install asterisk with the example configs (make samples)?
asterisk is dependent on a directory of config files (usually
/etc/asterisk) and make samples populates the dir with some basic
config files.

3.make sure that the x-lite that you want to register is defined in
sip.conf and extensions.conf

4. configure x-lite using the following:

http://www.astmasters.net/stuff/X-Lite-and-Asterisk.pdf

5. run asterisk in verbose mode (asterisk -r vvvvvgc) so you can see
what's happening

You're in for quite a learning experience...hope this has been helpful.
good luck and good hunting.

-yair