[Asterisk-Users] Xten and NAt Problems

Anton Krall akrall-lists at intruder.com.mx
Thu Mar 24 23:14:08 MST 2005

Guys. Im writing this because Ive checked the wiki, Xten website and read a
lot of docs and still cant figure out a way around the NAT issues. Maybe
somebody else can give me some ideas from a fresh perpective.

My test setup is this:

Asterisk 				-> 2wire homeportal Firewall ->
internet
Computer with Xten eyebeam

The asterisk box and the computer with xten beam are behind the same
firewall (same LAN). If eyebeam is configured to use asterisks internal ip,
everything works fine, and of course, same LAN, no problems.

The firewall external interface has its real IP and Im forwarding ports
4569, 10000-20000, 5060 and 5004 UDP to the asterisk box.

So I went a step ahead and configured eyebeam to connect not to astersis
kinternal IP but rather the external firewalls IP, much like any other
external computer would do.

The SIP connection between eyebeam and asterisk is made on port 5060 and I
can hear asterisks echo test welcome message. But, as usual, after the
message ends, I start talking and no echo is getting back.

I checked the logs and some RTP and SIP messages come and go with both the
asterisk IP and the eyebeam internal and external Ips, mentioning ports like
5060 and 6xxx.

So my question is... How do you work around issues like this, where the
asterisk box is inside a NAT and the eyebeam computer is also behind NAT or
in this case, same NAT but eyebeam is trying to connect to asterisks
external or real IP and then getting back inside the LAN from an external
user perspective.

Hope you can help me on this Guys cause Ive read about STUN, SER, etc. But
still dont know when to use what and where to put it, all inside the
asterisk box or what?

Thx Guys.