[Asterisk-Users] Backup for linux/asterisk

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 21:47:52 MST 2005

The "standard" UNIX backup program is called "dump".  Try reading the
dump manpage by typing "man dump" at the shell's prompt.  This program
has been in common use since maybe the late 80's

Quoted from the man page:

  Dump examines files on an ext2/3 filesystem and determines
  which files need to be backed up. These files are copied to
  the given  disk,  tape or  other storage medium for safe
  keeping....

Many sysadmins will run "dump" nightly from a crontab entry

--- Steve Prior <sprior at geekster.com> wrote:
> Jeff Glassman wrote:
> > My question is as follows.  Is there a backup program that will
> save to
> > a tape drive or a USB CD Writer so if I mess up an install I don’t
> have
> > to go through a complete reinstall?   I saw a few programs out
> there but
> > they required X windows and from what I read it is suggested that X
>
> > windows not be installed on an Asterisk box.
> >

> I recently used G4U from:
>
> http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/
>
> See if it does what you need.
>
> Steve