[Asterisk-Users] When should I use SER ?

Remco Barende asterisk at barendse.to
Thu Mar 24 09:05:08 MST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Matthew Boehm wrote:

> Paul Hewlett wrote:
>
>> Thanks Matthew. From this I would infer that SER is to Asterisk as
>> Squid is to HTTP ?
>
> Thats actually not a bad analogy. I'm terrible with analogies. But yes, SER
> is a pure SIP proxy server; meaning it knows nothing about the audio portion
> of a call. SER can recieve a call, mangle the packets and send them on their
> way.
>
> A good example is using a single SER box to load balance a few asterisk
> boxes for SIP->PSTN termination.

Cool! If I understand correctly if I have a location where a single DSL
line is insufficient to handle all the calls I could add a DSL line with
another asterisk box and then distribute the traffic(load) over two DSL
lines using SER?

This would eliminate the need for expensive 10mit line which exceeds the
cosf 3-4 DSL lines by far.